Thursday, August 16, 2007

Things I suck at

American chains in Shanghai in order of prevalence:
1. KFC
2. Pizza Hut
3. Starbucks
4. McDonald's
5. Wal-Mart
6. Burger King

One thing I definitely don't miss is driving on a highway and getting off at an exit in one state then driving another four hours to finding the exact same strip.

China is the secret master of:
1. umbrellas
2. Fudgsicles- best ever and only $0.16 or $0.32.

Shanghai is the flattest place I've ever been. This includes Ohio.

There's a course at my sports high school called "Humanities." It encompasses the history of the world with a focus on art. I avoided it and said, "Ah, too hard!" and now I keep getting assigned to write articles about art museum exhibitions. So, I madly wikipedia the different periods in an effort to sound like I know what I'm talking about. Romanticism? Enlightenment? What... ? I write things like, "Beautiful and muted, the piece features soft edges and a man biting a baby."

Last night I lay on the wall by the river and looked at the seven visible stars and thought about when my astronomer dream fell to the wayside. It was right around the time we were expected to know fractions in 4th grade... 5/8!?!? And I only have a 1/3 cup?! Way too hard. Really, though, I didn't understand fractions until college and I don't think I could cross multiply or divide them with each other right now if my life depended on it. Decimals are, and always will be, where it's at. Yes, I, too, am surprised that I got an economics degree.

I now love instant powdered instant soup. I discovered it yesterday. Just add hot water and stir a little bit and it's so good and only 5.20RMB=less than $1. You know, 5.2/7.

No comments: