Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Look at some pictures

Last night, I was at work till 7 trying to finish the propaganda art article so didn't get home till 8:30. The design team was still here when I left. Worlds was on TV when I got home and it was fantastic to watch track without Carol Lewis screaming into the microphone. They showed the ENTIRE men's 10K and kept the clock running until well after the Ethiopians won.

We have an editorial meeting tomorrow and somehow I am ending up in the October magazine, in which the majority of work will be done when I'm already in Beijing and India, more than the last two months combined. Sure.. my thrilling topics include Reality TV shopping and reality TV in taxis, the buskers, and some other stuff I don't remember and Local Talk on a particular street. I went there this morning to do the research for it and LUCKY ME, it was rightnearreallycloseto............. :



This was probably my last visit with it so I stayed as long as I could bear the heat.

Some photos of typical Shanghai stuff... this is an attempt to explain why "megastores" like Wal-Mart do not turn a profit in China. They can get everything they need right down the street and all the stores are next door to each other. There's no waiting in line unless it's a very busy time and if you need something special like a bike, you can buy it from your local bike repairman; there's one who sets up shop in the middle of the sidewalk about once every five blocks. The prices are usually less than Wal-Mart.

Tea shop:


Next to a shop of random stuff:


Next to food:


Which is next to fruit:


and like that.

I hung out with John this morning and gave him the Rolling Stone Jilane sent me, he was very happy and was more interested in the ads than the content. He wanted to know what Coke Zero was and why they don't have it in China, and how much hemp shoes cost and how much a laptop costs. Then there was a photo of Hendrix burning his guitar at Woodstock and he was really into that but said he had never seen the video of it.

Riding the subway on Sunday. Most of it is underground but some parts of Line 4 and 3 aren't:


Calligraphy display near home. Newspapers for the public to read are also posted here everyday:


Subs singer:


Dinner last night. Does it look oily? Because it is! Handpulled noodles from a street vendor; 4RMB=$0.57.


Front of Jing'an su:


Dazibao. Very lucky to have seen this; very rare. Secret photography is my new specialty... These are public denunciations of friends, neighbors and family as rightists during the Cultural Revolution. The pieces of paper were posted in a public area then people wrote and wrote. You can see the emotion.



No comments: