Monday, September 17, 2007

Madurai

On Saturday, we went to Madurai, a city about an hour from Sivakasi. We took the train there for 39 rupees, total, which is about $0.30 each. It would be like going from Providence to Boston or Ann Arbor to Toledo for thirty cents.

We visited a giant Hindu temple and went to some of the shops. The temple is extremely ornate, especially on the outside. Everyone has to take their shoes off to go in. There are statues of the gods inside, including some of cows. I saw someone taking a picture of one of the cow statues and all the Hindus around got really huffy-- no photos of them, including live cows. I'm not sure why, I don't think Christians would be offended if someone came into a church and took a picture of Jesus on the cross? At any rate, I won't be taking any pictures of that. Some of the gods are built into the wall and some are in their own miniature temples and some are in the middle of the floor. I know next to nothing about Hinduism but it was interesting anyway.

I got a skirt to my ankles so at least I have one appropriate item now. All the skirts I brought are only to mid-calf which is too revealing. We ate at a local restaurant in Madurai for lunch. It involved the usual rice and sauces but they gave it to us on a tray; everyone else ate off of a banana leaf.

While we were in one of the shops, a brass band paraded by and everyone ran out to look. They were leading a wedding; the couple was behind, sitting in a convertible.

When we got back to Sivakasi, there were a bunch of fires. I guess it was trash day; everyone was burning their trash. I guess they don't have trash pickup here, at all. I guess I guess I guess-- generally I have no idea what's going on, ever!

People remain really friendly. I walked to the store about 5 minutes away on Sunday and I think word must have gotten around because on the way back, at least 20 kids yelled "Hi!" out of their windows.

Madurai:

Temple exterior (one tower, there were some more):




Salesgirls who said "Take our picture?" ... a common request:


Hollywood Professional Diploma in 3D Modeling


Ox cart:




I've had a few questions about the weather here. In short, it's very reliable. The next four days forecast:
High: 86, Low: 76-77. Scattered T-storms.

I think the rainy season is October, so it's coming shortly.

No comments: