Friday, July 27, 2007

What do I look like?

I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to go to all these places. The more I think about it, the awesomer it is. Though day-to-day life isn't always too exciting (sitting at a computer in an office, often doing nothing...this is why the blog gets updated so often), the general experiences are. The days go by slowly but the weeks go by quickly.

I had a conversation with Gaelle earlier in the week about how we have no idea what the standard of beauty is here. Obviously, pale is in but other than that, it is very difficult to discern who would be considered pretty/handsome and who would not, or what the Chinese people think of our looks. The people in the advertisements and on TV are ok but I see people I consider more attractive on the metro everyday. China is also at an interesting crossroads in terms of body shape. I think only in the last few years has thin started to be in for young women-- prior to that, they were still at the stage where the heavier you were, the richer and less likely to die. I was worried that when I came here I would feel like a gigantic cow but it's been ok. I am generally bigger than most but not obviously so. Somehow this has had the effect of making me feel thinner than I usually do at home. Pleasantly disorienting...

Yesterday, I attempted to go to a mooncake tasting party at the fanciest hotel in Shanghai for work but, as usual, I couldn't find it. I wandered up and down a road by Lujiazui for an hour then went home. Being in Lujiazui (where the Oriental Pearl Tower and two biggest skyscrapers in Shanghai are) for such a long time made me really appreciate how not touristy my neighborhood is!

Looking for the hotel entrance, wandering up and down this street forever:


Turtles for sale on the sidewalk; Jing'an Temple


Whenever there is an auto accident, fight, someone gets pulled over by the cops or other disagreement, a big and interested crowd gathers to watch. More honest than Americans, who just slow down to cause a traffic jam or another accident. There is a car accident on the other side of this group. This is the only photo I have taken in public that people haven't stared at me for taking.


Chinese tourist driven consumerism at its overtly obvious best: Super Brand Mall


Hooters Shanghai: emphasis on big smiles, not big boobs. Seriously.


Sunset over Lujiazui:


As an aside, I think I've done a good job of putting my foot in my mouth with/embarrassing one specific person.. depressing.

No comments: