Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Shanghai Day One

I love it so far. People have been pretty nice. Everything is guesswork, for the most part, including being on the computer. I'm at an internet "cafe" right now but between the cigarette smoke, unemployed male gamers and the cig butts on the floor, it seems more like a bar!

The flight was ok and when I got in, Leo picked me up from the airport. The airport is very nice and getting through customs was a breeze. I had my first contact with the unsmiling, stoic face of the Chinese government. Leo showed me the apartment and I met my roommate, Michelle-from-Chicago, who goes to Boston U. She's 20. I don't really understand her... alls he's done so far is moan about how hot it is, talk about her mom and laugh at the people. She's very loud and typically American. THe first thing she said was that she and her mom hunted all over for a blow dryer and a curling iron and wouldn't it be easier if we had a car and I'm welcome to use her hair stuff because OMG it's so humid here! We went to the massive grocery store together where they had an escalator to the second floor for people and carts so it wasl ike a slanted moving sidewalk. Awesome.

Then I thought my wallet was stolen but I had just left it at the apartment. Right.. very careful now! The apartment is beautiful and totally pimped out. There are 3 bedrooms (other people arrive next week), a huge living room, 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen with a washing machine + room air conditioners. It's designed so nicely, very Asian style and feng shui. I went to bed early last night after sleeping ni 2-hour increments on thep lane three times. My feet were mad sore last night. Lack of blood circulation on the 14h our flight or something.

When I first got here, I didn't notice that EVERYONE is Asian but now I can see them kind of staring, especially when I'm with Michelle. People on buses and motor bikes are especially interested. I haven't minded not speaking Chinese yet, it gives me new eyes and I feel like I have a special skill just for not being from here... though I also feel ignorant, on another level. Just what I wanted!

On the way from the airprot, we drove by some Chinese slums. I was very interested in seeing this because iti s exactly what they would not allow to be shown in the West. It s pretty destitute, very crowded. Laundry hangs outside everywhere here, including the nice areas. Our apartment complex looks a lot like the high rises in Miami with a lot of porches. We also have a porch--awesome! The Chinese obviously have a great appreciation forp orches-- my kind of culture! These are where the laundry goes, they all have metal hanging contraptions off the ceiling. I didn't ask about the slums so as not to draw attention to what might be seen as a shortcoming but I did compliment the airport's efficiency. We took a taxi and on the highway they have lanes for Heavy Vehicles, Light Vehicles and Heavy Light Vehicles. Heavy Light, of course! I think I will start a photo series of good signs/labels... there is a brand of toilet paper called "Fook Woo" haha!

I feel I have different goals for the trip than the other folks I have met so far. I also met two guys from a different apartment and they were the same as Michelle--loud and voicing opinions that indicated they thought of America as far superior, Chinese culture as not sophisticated. So far, they all seem to be more interested in partying with each other than meeting anyone else. We can do that at home...

The other apartments in the building are young Chinese families for the most part. Last night I was standing in the swelternig hallway (literally, it is about 130- on our floor, the 5th/top), trying to open the door. The lock is tricky and it's pitch black because the light is out, I got frustrated and sweaty so I decided to knock on the neighbor's door for help. They're on the other side yelling in Chinese, probably saying, "Who's there? What do you want?" while all I could do is stand there parroting, "Nihao [hello]! Nihao! The lock? Nihao.." They didn't open the door for the hello-fool so I went outside and ate ice cream then came back up and got it after about 10 minutes.

My Chinese vocabulary as of now:
-Nihao: hello
-Shasha: thanks
-Waiguoren: foreign devil

Our apartment is on the west side of the river that divides the city, work is on the east (old) side. I'll take the subway for about 40 minutes. I'm looking forward to starting work, I am going there for the first time in about 20 minutes.

The dress here is quite nice, everyone looks well put together everywhere I go. Overall, I feel very comfortable though somewhat sloppy when not dressed for work. I do feel very far from everything familiar but I like it and don't mind the feeling at all! One of my main goals when I decided to do this was to go somewhere where I felt very stupid almost all the time. That is not the exact feeling, but it is mostly guesswork.

No comments: