Friday, July 6, 2007

Suspicious photography

Yesterday I went "reporting" on the Thumb Plaza commercial center. I'm writing up 10 features on various stores there. The interesting part of it for me was the hesitancy and suspicion on behalf of the store workers as to why I was standing there writing and why I wanted to take photos, that's why half of the ones here are blurry and not centered-- avoid more weariness when I didn't have a "real" excuse this time.

Video of Chinese busker

These folks were extremely excited to have their photo taken! I think they thought it was to be in the "Out & About" section of the magazine


This is an undercover photo of one of the alleys near the office:


Santa Monica Track Club and Oregon shirt in Shanghai:


Nicest Victrola I've ever seen:


Homes near the office:


A building by my home subway stop, I think it is a theater or opera house:


Jing' an Temple, the area I work in. This is the temple, now conveniently commercialized with shops on the bottom floor.


Street workers are everywhere, they've all got natural brooms like this and wear those uniforms, or bright orange ones:


All construction sites have bamboo scaffolding. There seems to be very few safety precautions here, in general. The taxis don't have seatbelts and I saw a man hanging over a bridge to paint a sign without any restraints.


The aforementioned Sidewalks of Pain. The middle is where it hurts.


Yeah, for real.



Today at work, one of the people in the cubes below's cell phone started ringing and the ringtone was a little child singing the intro to Queen "We Will Rock You"!

No comments: