Friday, December 21, 2007

Deborah's escape

Deborah and I took the majority of her things to Achimota today.  I skipped work in order to help her because we had to do it on a day Mary would not be coming home early.  I was the bank behind this move; paying for our trotro fares and one taxi ride.  When we got to the house, her friend was there in the room with her daughter who looked about eight.  It will be the three of them in that room, squatting in a single room in a rich-man-from-America's mansion.  She told me something else because she thought I would disapprove, but I'm actually quite happy about their squatting situation.  It's far better than all the other options and the police in Ghana are so corrupt that they'll never be found out.  I sat with her while she got her hair done as a celebratory gesture.  It was $2 for a wash and style.

I am so happy she escaped.  I gave her "War and Peace" as a housewarming gift because she told me she wants to read it.  I was interested to see what Mary's reaction would be when I got home, but she pretended nothing was wrong, as usual, aside from hearing her screaming on her phone in the backyard.  Now, one of the workers from her shop is here slaving away in Deborah's position.  I knew this would be the outcome of Deborah's escape; simply someone else in her spot, but I'm still super glad it happened.  It's just strange to act so straight around Mary when I know exactly what happened.  Kind of funny, actually.

No comments: